Hergé: Master of the Comic Strip
Georges Prosper Remi – born in Etterbeek/Brussels on May 22nd of 1907 – became a renowned cartoonist who chose to sign his drawings with the pseudonym Hergé (RG), standing for his initials read backwards. The adventures of his tireless heroes Tintin and Snowy were first published in 1929 – and nothing could halt their ascent or their lasting worldwide success. Their exciting adventures were translated into numerous languages and devoured by hundreds of millions of readers – notwithstanding their age. The constant flow of Hergé’s inspiration sprang from the reality situations of everday’s life, a reliable source likely never to run dry. Before founding his Studios Hergé, the productive artist accomplished the challenge of his unique creative mission as a solitary fighter for more than two decades. Georges Remi died in 1983. The artist’s legacy comprises a wealth of works of impressive diversity in its distinctive unequivocal style. It is displayed at the Hergé Museum in Louvain-la-Neuve near Brussels in the Belgian region of Walloon Brabant. The unusual exhibition offers a comprehensive insight into the artist’s wide range of creative aptitude. A large number of original plates, photographs, documents and objects have been compiled for visitors to indulge in. „Hergé was not only Tintin. Graphic designer, caricaturist, cartoonist, illustrator, storyteller – he was a multi-talented artist and a perfect reflection of the twentieth century“, explain the museum’s operators. The exhibition is housed in a building which in itself represents a piece of art.
The venue sports the restaurant Le petit Vingtième, which is themed around the cover pages of Le Petit Vingtième, the weekly children’s supplement which published The Adventures of Tintin on 10 June 1929.
Inquiries for private or corporate events: firstname.lastname@example.org
There’s a video on the website showing viewers through the venue – in French. But a transcript with translations in Dutch and English is available for the less francophone. The museum is opened daily, except Mondays, from 1st January to 25th December. www.museeherge.com/en Image credits: Tintin – ©Hergé-Moulinsart 2014. Museum – ©Musée Hergé